So, in actual editing time, the initial rough cut of the film took right around two weeks of time, with Brian cutting the first block, and myself cutting the second (unfortunately, to find those 14 days of editing, it took 2 months because of our schedules). Hamm’s edit of block 1 came to a TRT of 54 mins, and my edit of block 2 came to 86 mins, for a total TRT of 140 mins.
Now the real work starts in taking the 140 minute rough assembly and polishing it down to a solid 120 to get it ready for feedback. To anyone out there aspiring to make an indie film, if you can swing it, try as hard as you can to find room in your shoestring budget for a DIT. The gift of having a rough assembly and organized folders full on with scene numbers and shots labeled is going to be the best money spent outside of catering! We of course couldn’t do that on this one, and we’ve had to suffer through searching for shots, but we’ve managed. It’s very likely that a DIT will be a part of the next production!
At this point, only Hamm and I have seen the footage, but we’re definitely looking forward to getting it in front of Alan, Kevin Hartman, and of course JoJo. We can’t wait to get sound sweetening going as well as the composing process and full on sound design/mix. We started yesterday on my block, with Hamm putting his mojo on my edit. We re-edited about 24 mins, with Hamm now back in the driver’s seat (Thank GOD!) We’ll continue today and tomorrow, finishing up my block, and then circling back to the start of the film, through Hamm’s block. At the end of Thursday, we hope to have the second pass of the edit complete, and God willing, in a form that is viewable for feedback.
If we’re under 120 mins of TRT, we’re way ahead of the game. But like Hamm said, “the first cut of “Titanic” was 36 hours.” (ha!).